What We're Working on Now
- Working with ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability and the Joint Venture Silicon Valley Network to complete a greenhouse gas emissions inventory for government operation
- Developing a strategic climate action plan and campaign based on the goals in the Town's recently adopted Sustainability Element of the General Plan
- Proposing a green building standard for new construction and major remodels
- Developing a "Green Up" Campaign to address the energy efficiency of existing homes
- Developing a water conservation program in conjunction with CalWater and the Town's Conservation Committee
- Hosting a Green Speaker Series featuring pioneers in the sustainability movement
- Becoming a certified Green Business through the San Mateo County Green Business Program
For more information on what we are working on at the Town, please refer to our Town Sustainability Initiatives handout or contact Brandi de Garmeaux, the Town's Sustainability and Resource Efficiency Coordinator, directly at (650) 851-1700 ext. 222.
January 2009 - The Portola Valley Town Center is the winner of the 2009 Green Building Awards in the commercial category. The Green Building Awards are sponsored by Sustainable San Mateo County, RecycleWorks, and the San Mateo County Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
December 2008 - The Town of Portola Valley was recently recognized by the Northern California Solar Energy Association as one of the top cities in the Bay Area for solar installations City Solar Award 2008.
Town Committees Working on Sustainability Issues
Ad-Hoc Climate Protection Task Force
ASCC/Planning Commission Green Building Sub-Group
Nature & Science Committee
For more details, please visit our Town Committees page
San Mateo County RecycleWorks
Sustainable Silicon Valley
Sustainable San Mateo County
Joint Venture Silicon Valley
Silicon Valley Leadership Group
City/County Association of Governments San Mateo County (C/CAG)
Town Sustainability Element of the General Plan - approved by the Town Council on January 28th, 2009
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Policy